How to Hire a Great Marketing Person
Last updated on April 28, 2017
I got this question asked and figured others might be curious on how I do it.
The challenge about marketing output is that it’s not always numbers based and the ROI isn’t immediate. With that being said I think it can be and here’s how I would solve how to find and how to know if someone is good.
How to find?
- Look for advertising, marketing tactics, and qualities of a good marketer you like and look backwards to see which marketer did them.
- Look back into your own community / customers / users to see if there is anyone who gets it. I find this most helpful.
- Look at specific companies you admire and check LinkedIn for their marketing folks.
Those have been my best ways of finding marketing people. Word of caution: most marketers suck.
How to know if they are good?
- They Love your product. I did at Mint so marketing was easy.
- Objective based. Easiest way to test someone on marketing is give them a challenge and see if they ask whats the objective. Most will just start rambling bullshit or ideas. Others will start with what do we want this to accomplish. I like them.
- Metrics. I personally like people that can quantify and prove what they are doing is backing out to numbers. (Then we we hire the right person we use a Daily Accountability Marketing Metrics Form.)
- Personality. This is general but just want to say it.
- Relevance. If they are already in your industry it’s a bonus cause they’ll have the connections, it’s ideal, not required.
- Questions. Are they asking the right questions about advertising? And about the overall value of marketing?
Here’s a test I gave someone to help run AppSumo, has a few marketing related questions and ideas to see how people think through things.
One of my fav questions for marketing is just giving them limited budget questions and a # of people to reach. See what they come up with, hear their thought process and if they provide #s related to their decisions.
Hope this helps.