I’ve noticed two ways of living life, top down or bottom up. I’m 84% certain most of you have heard that phrase.
There’s so much to be said for serendipity and the amazingness of life when you let things happen.
The opposite of creating those experiences can be amazing as well.
A great question is why do we want balance in our lives? Why Yin-Yang?
A longer story I haven’t really explored myself.
I spent an afternoon reviewing the best / worst moments of my 2012. Wow, some surprising ones!
Reviewing this helped me build up what I want to continue and explore more in planning 2013.
Go ahead, do it now for yourself. I’ll wait….
This helped me recognize what I want to do more and less of in my upcoming year…
A few key things for effective planning:
A) It’s okay to kill something if it’s really not making your life better / happier. Try it out, keep trying but don’t be stubborn to something. Practice this by stopping reading books that suck.
B) “Shoot for the stars and in worst case you end up at the moon.” If you plan something big and don’t succeed, you’ll likely be further than you thought you could be.
C) The more specific you are, the easier it is to accomplish.
D) Pre-committing helps. Thanks Adam!
E) Less is more. I’ve noticed with wantrepreneurs they want their first business to make $100,000 in a year. They aren’t willing to suffer and have smaller and more digestible goals.
F) Failing to plan is planning to fail.
Here’s mine for next year and how I did after it was over:
1. Try 1 new uncomfortable thing a month Mostly done, 5 rhythm dancing, naked yoga.
2. Grow AppSumo Did this with Monthly1k.com, reached our 3,333 goal
3. Travel to India Done, walked around for a month
4. Continue health (Cooking, Yoga 2x/week, More smoothies) All done but didn’t do all yoga.
5. Start and Finish writing book with Neville Passed on this
6. 48 hour challenge Did fasting for 60 hours.
7. Long long bike ride or run Done, did 50 mile ride to Round Rock
8. Consider Seattle for summer Done. Check out AppSumo’s Ultimate Entreprenuer Giveaway.
9. Burning man Passed. Prioritized staying with team.
10. Hang solo with my parents Done.
11. Go to 2 seminars Done, Conscious Loving and Awesomenessfest.
12. Do a disc golf road-trip with my brother Not done but hung with him a considerable amount.
13. A digital detox weekend Not done.
A great way of looking at what you want this next year is to break into: health, wealth and love. Then put 1-2 key things you want to continue / try out in each of those categories.
What do you want to do in 2013?