We are using the currently available AppSumo optimization bundle to increase and improve AppSumo’s own conversion rate and managed to double it in two days. I’ll tell you how below but while walking around Paris a few day ago I realized that we could leverage the power of people to increase our conversion rate even more.
So here’s what we are going to do:
Leave a comment or tweet to @appsumo on how we can increase our appsumo.com homepage conversion rate. We are going to take our 3 favorites, test them and report back the results. All tweets / Comments must be submitted by Friday 3pm (so we have enough time to test).
If there is an increase in conversion rate we will give the difference to the top person. The other 2 people selected will get a free bundle.
Huh? Yea, we are currently hovering around ~3% conversion rate. If you do a mock up, that makes it easier to choose and do your test as well.
Here’s how the numbers work out:
$250 for a comment is not a bad deal:) Contest ends Friday at 3pm PST, go leave a comment / tweet now.
Disclaimer: There are no disclaimers.
Why are we doing this?
This is helpful to increase our conversion rates going forward. It compounds. So if we increase it to 5%, then it’s always 5% for all future bundles and we can keep increasing that to my personal goal of 10%.
So far we’ve doubled our conversion rate from 1.5 to 3%. Here are a few things we’ve done so far:
- Moved buy now from right to left side
- Changed the share links to social proof since no one was clicking
- Too many people were clicking on our. No Thanks, tell me when the next bundle is so we pushed it down further on the page and removed the background color
- We added a testimonial to show that people like what we are offering.
- Displayed company logos based on which got the most clicks (also on who had most the twitter followers).
- The timer wasn’t prominent so we moved it higher:
- Our conversion on the checkout page is very high (80%+), ie. so we want more clicks. Hence we made more things that made sense clickable to the checkout page, like the timer.
- Peoples mouse movements were in the middle of the page so we moved our buy now buttons there. Learned from Clicktale.com.
- People were confused whether they were getting one or all bundles so we changed the text from buy now to buy all 5 now >
- Removed the tell us what you want and app directory link from the tip. Distracting from what we want users to do, buy.
- Clarified redemption times. Got great feedback using SnapABug.com that people didn’t have a need for the bundle right now. So we realized we could clarify that almost all the services can be redeemed whenever.
- Feedback was that text sucks and images rule. Removed text and updated with images.
- People kept asking if our charge was monthly or one time. we added an faq page.
- Bonus tip! Use google analytics and setup goals. this was AMAZINGLY helpful. you can see the $ per each referral as well as how much $ you make from specific page visits. This will teach you if people to go to your faq then buy or which sites you should try to buy more traffic from.
Contests ends Friday at 3pm. Go leave a tweet / comment with what we should test, it can be anything.