Last weekend I went to a poker tournament for Autism in Jersey which was quite an experience. It was mostly a blue collar middle class crowd of people. A good example of the type of people at the event was someone who said to me, “he he oh yea like Noah’s Ark huh,” I nodded with hidden anger. I asked a lot of the people there if they go to New York and they said “heck no.” I talked with the other Noah about these types of people and here is what I really took away.
- They do not care about AJAX.
- User generated content is not a term they are aware of.
- Yelp is something that there dog does after it takes a poop.
- They have never been LinkedIn.
Lately, I wonder why people do sponsorships, spend millions on television advertising and buy up big billboards. It is for these people. They do watch American Idol, they are sitting with beer helmets during the super bowl (hmm.. I do that too), they do go to the same bar everynight and they are the majority of America. Reaching out to these people will stay old school for the time being but companies need to realize who there audience is.
So what is the difference between New York and New Jersey. One is the 80% of America and the rest is the 20%. Will TV advertising continue to decrease? Yes, at a rate where more money is spent online. The question is how do the tech companies reach out beyond the initial crowd. I think the “Tipping Point” theory can explain it all but is there more…What do you think?