How many of you use PayPal? How many of you like PayPal? Personally, I was ripped off more than $1,500 using PayPal and it has taken time to heal that wound. Regardless, someone recommended the PayPal Wars to me and I loved every page of it. A very quick read about the very tough times they had to gain “world domination.”
Here are some interesting highlights about the book:
- Max Levchin the CTO focused heavily on security and created the captcha. That little image where you have to type in the words when you are registering on a website.
- Almost all decisions at the company are number based and very calculated.
- The decentralization of PayPal was key in its early success to respond to challenges and opportunities.
- The company started out as a PDA to PDA payment system with the online portion as a secondary.
- The majority of growth came from latching on to eBay auctions.
Bottomline: The book reminded me a lot of my early times at Facebook, challenging, fast paced and exciting. Noah’s recommendation: Read it