Somehow in the course of the internet, the phrase SEO (search engine optimization) became evil. Talk to any internet marketer and they CRINGE when they hear those deadly, deadly words.
SEO is ways to get your site get better results on Google, Yahoo and/or MSN. I think SEO got a bad wrap when link farms (pages with TONs of useless links), link swapping and other bad tactics were very popular in the late 90s. This was the generic strategy of many SEO consultants.
However, what an SEO can really do for you is simple: help create traffic to your site for relevant things.
Why don’t you let Google do the marketing for you?
Why do you spend all that time advertising, branding, buying things for people, when Google is the low priced alternative?
When people are searching certain things related to your site you should be there. You must be there. You must be recognized. Piggy back on Google and let them do the heavy lifting of screening and delivering the right users.
How does SEO work?
- They optimize your page. They help you with labeling things, organizing and producing your page correctly. The way your titles are spelled matters, the way your meta data is labeled matters and other little things like that.
- Brainstorm. They help you determine what you are known for. You should really try to corner the market on something specific. Search ANY band out there and guess what you will see on the first page of results. A MySpace profile. Do you think that happens out of luck? No, it happens because the page is open and relatively-optimized for search engines.
- Search for Youtube on Google. Notice anything strange about what appears on the front page? Techcrunch and other blogs about that site, not even the site specifically. Why does that happen? Cause SEO has helped.
So what you should do :
- Angle. Pick some keywords you want to own. See how often they are searched for. Use them more in your posts.
- Involve. Have an SEO consultant review your site. Read these great sites on generating high results on search engines: 1 & 2. Lastly you can get involved in the community and learn more about it.
- Analyze. See what words people are finding you from and use more of those in your posts.
- It’s not short term. SEO does not happen over night. Keep working at it.
As always, if you liked this post please share it with a friend or write about it on your site.
Read the rest of the series on how to improve your blog traffic:
#1 Getting on Top of Digg, Reddit or Del.icio.us is EVIL
#2 Excuse me, Who are YOU?
#3 Get em While They’re Hot
#4 Titles = Life or Death
Want More? Get new articles via email: