I was waiting for a meeting today at Dana Street Roasting Company and asked the coffee maker if they had wifi. To my luck they did and it was free. Woot, woot, now I can kill 15 minutes with reading news before the meeting. Unfortunately, the guy told me that power was not free and no power plugs were available.
Are you freaking kidding me? It seems like they are trying to not please customers and keep people from drinking coffee, chatting and spending more money in their store. Many mom and pops complain about the dominance of Starbucks so here is what they should do:
- Target a particular market of people. They may not want to provide free wifi but do it if you want those people visting your store. Create an atmosphere for business meetings if that’s what you want or create ways where youth can socialize and have a place to chill.
- Make it Unique. Make it Bold. Make it Sassy. Everyone loves Starbucks ambience for some reason. And yes I am at a Starbucks now since they have power outlets;) Anyways, put cool paintings on the wall, use stools, get old school desks or anything that will stand out.
- Provide amazing service. This is the easiest one to do but so many stores neglect this. Remember customer’s favorite drinks, say their names when they order, create a bulletin board of the top drinkers, have a drink of the month club and get involved with them.
- Create a community.Whatever you tailor your place for, create events for people to come back and participate in. For a business focus, work with the chamber of commerce to hold meetings there; for music, provide weekly ecletic concerts; for students, give away free coffee while staying open late during finals week.
- Quality, I believe is hard to differentiate enough against other coffee houses. Starbucks has the advantage that people know what to expect when they go into one. So trying to say you are better won’t work. What might is creating unique drinks or focusing only on one type. For example you become the Latte house and only serve those types. Where do think people will go for Lattes?
Starbucks isn’t going anyway anytime soon so I hope Dana does something different. And to my avid readers, make sure to always drink a Chai Tea Latte:)